When you see a car accident, a calm, quick response can make all the difference. To ensure the safety of those involved in the crash, do the following if you witness an accident:
- Ensure your safety first by parking your vehicle away from the crash. Be cautious of broken glass, leaked fuel or open flames.
- Call 911, even if the wreck doesn’t appear to be severe.
- Check the victims after you’ve ensured your own safety. Offer to help in any way you can.
- Have those involved in a crash turn off their vehicles.
- Wait for the proper authorities to arrive and provide a statement of what you witnessed.
Again, only offer assistance if it does not risk your own safety. Following a car crash, often the best assistance you can provide is to notify the police.