Although car theft can happen to anyone, thieves target some vehicle models more than others. Vehicles from older model years are targeted because thieves are able to sell the used parts quickly, and older models don’t have the sophisticated anti-theft features that newer cars have.
Popular vehicle models are also targeted more frequently, as their presence or absence is not as noticeable to onlookers or the authorities. Because the demand for the used parts of these models is so high, if you own one of the models listed below, you should take extra precautions to keep it safe:
• Honda Accord
• Honda Civic
• Chevrolet Silverado
• Ford F-150
• Toyota Camry
• Dodge/Ram Pickup
• Dodge Caravan
• Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
• Toyota Corolla
• Nissan Altima
Here are a few simple things you can do to keep your car safe.
• Never leave your car running and unattended, even to dash into a business.
• Never leave your keys in the car or ignition, even inside a locked garage.
• Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is in front of your home.
• Always park in a high-traffic, well-lit area, if possible.
• Consider anti-theft devices such as steering wheel locks or fuel cut-off switches.
Contact BHC Insurance with any questions you have about vehicle insurance.