Allowing your teen to take a trip without you—whether it’s across the country or abroad—can be an exciting time that provides them with a newfound sense of independence. However, it can also come with serious safety and security risks. And in the event of a disaster during the trip, it’s important that your teen knows how to properly utilize their insurance coverage. To help prepare your child for their travels, provide them with the following guidance.
Auto Insurance Guidance
If your teen will be driving on their trip, have them review these auto insurance considerations:
- Always have your insurance ID card, title, and registration in your vehicle at all times.
- If you have an accident, call 911 for emergencies or the police for non-emergencies. Then, call your parents.
- Do not allow other drivers to convince you not to file an insurance claim if you are in an accident.
- Take pictures of the scene of an accident, including the vehicles and people involved.
- Get a copy of the police report from the accident.
Health Insurance Guidance
Instruct your teen to take note of these health insurance considerations while traveling:
- Keep your insurance ID card, a list of drug allergies and a list of your medications with you at all times.
- If you need urgent or emergency care, go to an ER immediately. Have a friend contact your parents.
- If you need medical care but it is not an emergency, contact your insurance company to find a local physician. After being treated, keep all your paperwork from the hospital, doctor’s office and/or pharmacy. Write down the name of the treating physician in case you need follow-up care from your own doctor.
Obtaining Coverage for Travels Abroad
Since your own health and auto insurance will generally not be accepted outside of the United States, you may need to consult your insurance professional to obtain short-term travel insurance while your teen is abroad. Lastly, make sure your child is aware of all the information needed to file a claim or receive assistance. For more personal risk management guidance, contact us today.
BHC Insurance | bhca.com | 479-452-4000
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as
professional advice. © 2009, 2013, 2016, 2021 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.