As a homeowner, security is critical and can make all the difference when it comes to preventing costly and emotionally taxing burglaries. However, when preparing to leave for a vacation, it’s easy to overlook basic home safety precautions. To protect your residence while you’re away and enjoy a worry-free trip, keep in mind the following tips:
- Leave a car parked in your driveway to make it seem as though someone is home.
- Set timers on inside lights. Install a motion-activated sensor on outdoor floodlights.
- Avoid posting photos of your trip on social media until after you return home. You don’t want to leave any clues for thieves that you are away.
- Stop the mail. Piles of uncollected letters and newspapers are a telltale sign you’re on vacation, which can attract burglars.
- Disconnect automatic garage doors. This prevents robbers from gaining entry to your home using universal garage door remotes.
- Lock all windows and doors. Secure valuables in a safe deposit box.
- Arrange to have your lawn mowed or snow shoveled while you’re away. This makes it seem as though people are home and keeping up with daily chores.
- Have a neighbor keep an eye on your home throughout your trip.
- Avoid leaving your house key outside your home, even if you think it’s in a safe place.
Taking the proper precautions before you go on vacation can make all the difference when it comes to preventing theft.