The key to mold prevention is moisture control. Here are some mold prevention recommendations:
- Be on the lookout for condensation and wet spots in your home and fix the source(s) of the moisture as soon as possible.
- Prevent moisture build-up from condensation by increasing the temperature by adding insulation or air circulation in your home.
- Reduce the humidity in the air by repairing leaks, increasing ventilation (if outside air is cold and dry) or dehumidifying (if outside air is hot and humid).
- Maintain an indoor humidity level below 70 percent.
- Keep air conditioning, heating system and dehumidifier drip pans empty, flowing properly and unobstructed.
- Water leaks and spills should be cleaned, dried out and, if needed, repaired within 24 to 48 hours.
- Vent moisture-generating appliances such as clothes dryers outside, if possible.
- Vent your kitchen and bathrooms when cooking and bathing using exhaust fans.
Pinpoint areas where leaks have occurred in the past and identify the cause of the leak. Then, take preventative measures to ensure that they do not occur again.
We’re here to help you protect your assets. For additional loss prevention tips for your home, contact us today!