- Install motion sensor lighting around your home and garage that illuminates your property.
- Consider installing home security cameras on your property. Many affordable home security cameras can connect to your smartphone through an app, making it easy to monitor your property from any location.
- Place automatic timers on your lights, and set them for different times for different rooms. This will make it more difficult for potential thieves to determine when you are away.
- Install locks on all windows and doors that lead to the outside of your home. Lock everything before you leave—even if it’s only for a couple minutes.
- Store your keys in a safe and secure location. Never leave your spare key in an easy-to-find spot (e.g., under the doormat). Instead, consider leaving it with a trusted neighbor or in a key lockbox.
- Do not leave your valuables—such as jewelry, artwork or electronics—sitting out in plain view. Make sure these items are properly hidden in a safe, secure location.
- Place “Beware of Dog” and home alarm signs in your yard. Even if you don’t have a dog or an alarm, this may help deter potential thieves from trying to enter your home.
- Alert friends and neighbors when you will be away for an extended period of time so that they can look out for suspicious behavior.
- Put a hold on your mail or have a neighbor pick it up for you when you go on vacation. An overflowing mailbox or buildup of packages at your door could make it clear to potential thieves that you aren’t home.
- Consider asking a neighbor to park their car in your driveway or conduct home maintenance tasks for you while you are away (e.g., shoveling snow or cutting grass) to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Never leave information about how long you will be gone on your social media platforms, as this will provide potential thieves with a timeline of when your home will be empty.
Keep Your Home Secure When You Go to Work
Many burglaries do not occur in the dead of night, contrary to what most people think. Instead, they tend to occur between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., when people are at work. With this in mind, be sure to always keep your doors and windows locked while you are away at work. For additional home security guidance and homeowners insurance solutions, contact BHC Insurance today.
This post is for informational purposes only and is not intended as
professional advice. © 2008, 2016, 2020 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.