While it may be difficult to imagine it happening to you, home break-ins are a common occurrence. If an intruder enters your home, your property and the well-being of your loved ones are at risk.
In order to protect your home and family from an intruder, consider doing the following:
- Put an emergency plan in place and discuss it with everyone in your household.
- Take any measure possible to let the intruder know someone is home and aware of his or her presence.
- Do not assume the intruder is unarmed. He or she may be concealing a knife or gun and could produce it at a moment’s notice.
- If you have something immediately available you can use for defense, grab it, even if it is just a scare tactic.
- Remain vigilant. Take note of the intruder’s physical characteristics and provide the most accurate description possible to the police if he or she gets away.
In addition to the above, consider arming your home with a security system. A security system may seem expensive, but knowing your family and possessions are safe at all times may make it worth the cost.
Need help with home insurance? BHC can help. Learn more at bhca.com/home-insurance/