What every parent should know…

Sending a child off to college is a significant milestone that represents the culmination of years of planning and hard work. As you prepare for the start of the semester, you should consider how your insurance needs may change with your son or daughter away at school.

Protecting Your Student’s Belongings

It is crucial that you contact BHC Insurance about the rules and limitations of your coverage when it comes to your son or daughter’s dorm room. Many homeowners policies consider a dorm room as an extension of your home, so items your child keeps there may be covered to some extent. However, if your child has lots of expensive electronic equipment or furniture, you may want to consider purchasing additional coverage.

If your child lives off campus, his or her possessions may not be covered by your homeowners’ policy. In that case, you may want to consider renter’s insurance, which the National Association of Insurance Commissioners says ranges from $15 to $30 per month. Renter’s Insurance will cover possessions in the student’s off-campus apartment or house as well as provide liability coverage if anyone is injured in the residence.

Changing Auto Coverage

If your son or daughter moves more than 100 miles away from home to attend school and does not keep a vehicle there, your car insurance premiums could decrease by as much as 30 percent. Inform BHC Insurance, and you could save money while still maintaining coverage for your child when he or she is home for vacation.

Plan Ahead

Though it is difficult to think about, it is important to determine whether your child would be able to complete his or her degree if something happened to you. Consider buying enough Life Insurance coverage not only to replace the income you would have been earning, but also to ensure your child would have enough money to pay tuition and complete his or her education.

Count on Us

If you are sending a child off to college and have not yet looked at adjusting your coverage, contact BHC Insurance at 479-452-4000 to learn more.You could save money on your policies and protect your child from expensive incidents while away from home.

Insurance Questions to Ask When You Have College-Aged Children

  • Will my child’s belongings be covered if his/her dorm is subject to theft, fire or other disasters?
  • Will my child’s belongings be covered if he/she lives in off-campus housing?
  • What happens if he/she gets seriously injured while at school?
  • Can I get a discount on my auto policy if my young driver is away at school and rarely uses the family car?
  • Do I have to change my auto policy if my son or daughter brings the car to school?
  • Will my intercollegiate athlete be covered under my family health plan if he or she is injured during practice or a game?

Disclaimer: For informational purposes only. The information provided is not intended to be exhaustive, nor should it be construed as advice regarding coverage.  Eligibility for coverage is not guaranteed and all coverages are limited to the terms and conditions contained in the applicable policy.