Heavy rainfall, high winds, hail and lightning from storms can cause severe damage to your home and endanger you and your family. In fact, storms cause a total of nearly $5 billion in property damage every year, according to data from the National Weather Service.
Make sure to protect your home from storm damage by taking the following steps:
- Be aware of the types of storms that are likely to affect your area, and always listen to the weather forecast so you can stay informed of potentially dangerous weather patterns.
- Update your home inventory at least once a year in case a storm causes damage to your home or possessions.
- Inspect the outside of your home for any damage that could cause a leak. Even a small leak in your home’s roof, siding or foundation can cause severe damage and weaken the structural integrity of your home.
- Prepare a home disaster kit that includes a first-aid kit, flashlight, battery-powered radio and clean water. You should also create emergency shelter and evacuation plans with your family in the event that any of you are separated during a severe storm.
- Check your home’s windows, doors and gutters to ensure they can withstand heavy rainfall and high wind speeds.
- Contact BHC Insurance to make sure that your home insurance policy offers enough protection to cover storm damage, or to learn more about home storm protection.